Wednesday, August 11, 2010

MY WORK IN SPOKANE

So I have had a lot of requests from my "past lives" to post about my present worklife. I work for a division of the local community college called The Institute of Extended Learning (IEL). This division of the college heads adult basic education, ESL (English as a second language), GED preparation and High School Completion (HSC). I teach all of these with the exception of ESL.

The students I teach have dropped out of school for one reason or another. Most of them live in poverty and are looking to improve their lives and contribute to society. It's very exciting because many of them come to the IEL with doubts of their own abilities. Often they are surprised to see that they are very capable of learning the curriculum. Did you know that about one third of high school graduates cannot pass the GED? Many people see it as a "step down" from high school, but the truth is that if the student goes on to college and gets a certificate or degree, it does not affect their lack of success in the long run. You can look up famous people who have earned their GED. It may surprise you. The picture on this post is of Barry Moses (fellow instructor) and Jessica Randall (instructional tech) who I have the honor of serving alongside in the same classroom.
One of the visions of the IEL is accessibility of education. Because of this we are found at places like worksource, the Salvation Army and homeless shelters. In fact the local school district cut off services to homeless teens, so we picked up the program and their downtown shelter. We also make instruction accessible by doing a lot of one on one and small group teaching.

It's really special to be involved in a program that makes such a profound difference in the lives of people!!! And often we not only affect their lives, but the lives of the generation to follow. I feel blessed beyond belief to work for the IEL!!!

4 comments:

  1. What you do is beyond wonderful and I applaud you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I work with a whole group of dedicated teachers and staff. It IS wonderful to serve others!!! :-) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole,
    It comes as no surprise that you would be so giving. This is totally you and I am proud to say that I've worked with you and knew you as a friend. Keep up the work of our Lord. You are truly a philomath and you have so much to give.
    Helen Cha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Helen. I always say my part is easy. God does the hard part of everything we accomplish! Congrats on your class this year. I have been following your facebook comments! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete